This application is for an individual who is not currently licensed with the Board. The Board may issue a 2-year conditional license to an individual that graduated from a Sonography, CIS/CES program and is actively working to fulfill requirements for registry with ARRT, ARDMS, CCI, or taking the ND state administered exam. To complete the application please see below.
Conditional Licensure Application Process Overview
- Complete the Application for Conditional Licensure and submit the necessary documents.
- The Application Fee is $25 and the License Fee is $150.
- The paper application is no longer accepted as most applications are online. The board will be accepting either Credit Card or Check/Money Order Payments. There will be a delay in processing the application when paying by Check/Money Order due to the delay in receiving payment. Applications will not be approved until payment has been received.
- The Criminal History background check forms are available online, please refer to the Criminal History Record Check section of the website. The forms MUST be returned to the office. (Incomplete forms or delays in returning this form will result in delays in becoming licensed.)
Once the completed Criminal History Background check forms are received, they are mailed to the Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) for processing. It generally takes about 2-4 weeks before those results are returned to the Board office. This CANNOT be rushed or expedited!
Note: If the background check results are clear and all documents have been received, the license may be issued.
Prior to beginning the application please ensure you have all the correct documents.
- A copy of your citizenship documentation (Social Security Card, US Passport, US birth certificate, foreign VISA or permission to work in the US). A driver's license is NOT acceptable documentation.
- If you answered "Yes" to any of the questions in the Personal Background History, an explanation and any relevant documentation as requested at the end of that section must be submitted with the application. If you cannot send a copy of the criminal judgment, please include that in your explanation.
- If you are military spouse, you must provide a copy of a military issued ID noting relationship to the military member and the orders of the active military member spouse.
- A copy of an official transcript of completing a program.
- Proof of being registry eligible. Send a copy of passing one of the exams or copy of printout from registry's online page showing you have applied for the exam.
To transition your Conditional to a full license:
- Successfully pass the registry exam.
- Submit a copy of your current registry card(s) with a national certifying agency (ARRT, ARDMS, etc.). If your registry no longer issues registry cards, you must still send the board office a proof of primary source verification from your National Registry Website. The board is not going to verify each individual registry due to the number of licensees being over 1,500.
- ATTENTION! All licenses expire by December 31 of the odd-numbered years. If your conditional license was issued in an odd-numbered year, you may wait until after September 1 of the odd-numbered year to transition your license so you do not have to pay again to renew. If you do transition your license before September 1, you will be required to renew.
Conditional and Temporary License Holders will not need to complete another Criminal History background check when they transition to full licensure.
Save for LaterDuring online application, please do not use the back button in your browser. To make a change to answers on a previous page or to review your application before submitting, please use the "Save for Later" button to save your application, log back in and access and review the previous pages. If at any time you wish to exit the process, please click the "Exit" button located at the bottom of the page.
If you will be away from your computer for any period of time after starting your online application, it is strongly advised that you click on the "Save for Later" button located at the bottom of each page to minimize the risk of losing the data that you have input into the system. You can then log back into the application at a later time.
Sonography Conditional Licensure ApplicationThis application is for an individual that currently has an active primary modality with the state of ND and wishing to work toward their Sonographer Registry. Please complete the Sonography Conditional Licensure Application. There is no additional fees as this is only a tracking mechanism.
MRI Conditional Licensure ApplicationThis application is for an individual that currently has an active primary modality with the state of ND and wishing to work toward their MRI Registry. Please complete the MRI Conditional Licensure Application. There is no additional fees as this is only a tracking mechanism.
You may now proceed to the: Online Conditional Licensure Application